A Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Collection
- United States
More informationSince A Prairie Home Companion first went on the air, July 6, 1974, a steady stream of great musicians has crossed its stage ---Chet Atkins, Greg Brown, Emmylou Harris, The Every Brothers, Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, Peter Ostroushko, The Wailin Jennys, Robin and Linda Williams, Iris DeMent, Willie Nelson, Odetta, Doc Watson, Jean Redpath---- plus the radio detective Guy Noir, sound effects artists Tom Keith and Fred Newman, and the good people of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota. An all-star roster of favorite performers joined thousands of fans to celebrate the anniversary on the lawn of Macalester College in St. Paul, a stone's throw from the hall where the first broadcast was made. In this, the most comprehensive collection ever of highlights from America’s favorite live radio show, we are pleased to present eighty-five tracks (five hours!) of the finest performances from the vast archives of A Prairie Home Companion, including highlights from the 40th anniversary celebration. With a souvenir booklet featuring rare photos and a new essay by Garrison Keillor.
1) Hello Love Garrison Keillor, Steven Gammell, Buzz Kemper, Craig Ruble.
2) Tiger Rag Chet Atkins, Jethro Burns.
3) Frankie Jean Bill Hinkley, Judy Larson.
4) Powdermilk Biscuit Theme Brian Barnes with Stoney Lonesome, Butch Thompson, George “Red” Maddock.
5) Red Dancing Shoes Peter Ostroushko and the New Prairie Ramblers.
6) Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out Odetta, Butch Thompson Trio.
7) Dreadful Wind and Rain Mike Seeger.
8) Mouth Music Jean Redpath.
9) Please, Mr. Conductor Helen Schneyer with Lisa Neustadt, Lisa Null, Claudia Schmidt.
10) AJUA HOT SAUCE Garrison Keillor, Pete Anderson and Stoney Lonesome, Butch Thompson Trio.
11) New Ulm Polka Douglas Dickover.
12) Minneapolis Blues Red Maddock, Butch Thompson, Bill Evans. (m. Red Maddock (w/m: George Maddock)
13) Candyman Blues Soupy Schindler.
14) Why Should I Be Lonely Steve Gammell, Craig Ruble.
15) Tennessee Waltz Cal Hand, Bill Hinkley, Judy Larson, Dick Hedlund