The "TuneIn Service" consists of: (a) our index of radio stations designed to simplify finding radio programming from broadcast or radio sources (the “TuneIn Guide”), whether available through our website located at www.tunein.com (the “Site”) or through any software applications made available for mobile devices (“Guide Applications”); (b) our platform for content streaming that enables sharing of live and recorded audio content (“TuneIn OpenMic”), whether available through the Site or through any software applications made available for mobile devices (the “OpenMic Applications,” and collectively with the Guide Applications, the “Applications”); (c) all software, external players, buttons, widgets, data, text, images, sounds, video, graphics and photos made available by TuneIn through any of the foregoing, and (e) any updates, new versions, new releases, additional features and functionality that TuneIn may offer in connection with the foregoing.
The types of information we collect
When you interact with the TuneIn Service, we may collect Personal Information (as defined below) and other information from you as described below.
“Personal Information” means information that alone or when in connection with other information may be used to readily identify, contact, or locate you, such as: name, address, email address or phone number. We do not consider personally identifiable information to include information that has been anonymized so that it does not allow a third party to easily identify a specific individual.
Information you give us
To enable you to enjoy certain features of the TuneIn Service, we collect certain types of information, including Personal Information, during your interactions with the TuneIn Service. By using the TuneIn Service, you are authorizing us to gather, parse, and retain data related to the provision of the TuneIn Service.
For example, we collect information, including Personal Information, when you:
- Register to use our TuneIn Service;
- Login with social networking credentials;
- Participate in polls, contests, surveys or other features of the TuneIn Service, or respond to offers or advertisements on the TuneIn Service;
- Communicate with us; and
- Sign up to receive email newsletters.
Following, Followers and other Public Information
The TuneIn Service is designed to help you discover, share and respond to content. Some of the information you provide us is information that is made public. This includes not only the stations, content or people you follow and the metadata provided, such as when you follow, your followers, the content you echo or share, and other information that results from your use of the TuneIn Service (collectively “Public Information”).
The stations, content or people you follow will be public, but we give you settings to make your following lists more private if you want. However, if you registered for the TuneIn Service prior to May 7, 2014, your following lists will be private, but your following lists will be made public once you sign in to your account. You can change your settings to make your following lists private at any time by changing your profile settings.
When other people use the TuneIn Service, they may store and share information about you and others that they have, such as when they upload and manage their invites and contacts.
Finding you on the TuneIn Service
Your Public Information may be seen. For instance, your profile or screen name may be searchable by search engines just like with many common social media services.
You may choose to upload your address book so that we can help you find other users you know. Other users may do the same. We may later suggest people to follow based on your imported address book contacts, which you can delete at any time. We receive information about you from your friends and others, such as when they upload your contact information, tag or include a reference to you in an echo.
To make it easier for your friends to find you, we allow anyone to search by name or email or when a user connects through a social media account on TuneIn. Users may also find you by looking at following lists that other users have chosen to make public.
Automatic Data Collection
Listening and Usage Activity: The TuneIn service observes your listening and usage activity. We collect information about stations, favorites, artists, channels, conversations and tracks you have listened to or in which you have expressed an interest. We receive data about you whenever you use the TuneIn Service, such as the sites visited, when you look at another user's profile, echo, search for a friend or a station, click on, view, purchase or otherwise interact with content or materials available by TuneIn or through the TuneIn Service.
Social connect information: When you choose to connect your social media account to your account profile, we collect Personal Information from that social media website. For example, when you connect your Facebook account, we may collect the Personal Information you have made publicly available in Facebook, such as your name, profile picture, cover photo, username, gender, friend networks, age range, locale, friend list, and any other information you have made public. We may also obtain other non-public information from the social network website with your permission.
Information about your computer or device: We may also collect information about the computer, mobile or other devices you use to access or use the TuneIn Service. For example, our servers receive and record information about your computer, browser or device, including potentially your IP address, device ID, operating system, browser type, and other software or hardware information. If you access the TuneIn Service from a mobile or other device, unless you register, we may assign a unique device identifier for that device.
Location-based information: We do not collect your zip code, postal code, city or country unless you choose to provide this information to us at registration. Your general geo-location may be collected at regular intervals if you use the TuneIn Service on your mobile device or through the Site. We collect this information to provide content and services that are customized for your geographic area.
Our use of the information we collect
We use the information, including Personal Information, that we collect for the following purposes:
- To personalize and customize the advertising and the content you see.
- To improve and enhance the user experience. We use tracking information to determine how well each page, station and/or channel performs overall based on aggregate user demographics and traffic patterns to those pages, stations and channels. This helps us build a better service for you.
- To fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as sending out electronic newsletters and enabling you to participate in polls, contests, and boards.
- To send you information about topics or content that we think will be of interest to you based on your preferences, habits or geographic location.
- To send you information about the latest developments and features on our TuneIn Service.
- To provide technical support.
We may anonymize and aggregate data collected through the TuneIn Service and use it for any purpose.
How the information we collect is shared
We are not in the business of selling, renting or sharing Personal Information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes. We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your information, including Personal Information, with certain third parties without further notice to you, as set forth below:
- With Your Permission. Information you allow us to share when you register with us, or through a subsequent affirmative election.
- Vendor and Service Providers. Information used when we hire or partner with third parties to provide business-related services on our behalf, such as mailing information, maintaining databases, processing payments, sweepstakes management and prize fulfillment, data processing, analytics, personalization and customization of advertising, customer/support services and other products or services that we choose to make available to our registered users. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function.
- Merger, Sale or Reorganization. We may share, transfer or sell your information in connection with a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of company assets, or transition of service to another provider. We cannot control how such entities may use or disclose such information.
- Social Media Sites on Your Instructions. The TuneIn Service may allow you to share information, including Personal Information, with social networking websites, such as Facebook. We do not share your Personal Information with them unless you direct the TuneIn Service to share it. Their use of the information will be governed by their privacy policies, and you may be able to modify your privacy setting on their websites.
- Law Enforcement and Other Legal Purposes. We may share your information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect or defend our legal rights or property as well as those of our business partners, employees, agents and contractors (including enforcement of our agreements); (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users or the public; (iv) protect against fraud or risk management purposes; or (v) protect against legal liability.
When you register and create a profile through the TuneIn Service, other users of the TuneIn Service may be able to see your profile information, including your profile or screen name, profile photo and any content that you post to the TuneIn Service. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of the other users who will view and use the information you post.
Non-Identifiable or Aggregated Data
We also receive and store certain non-personally identifiable information. Such information, which is collected passively using various technologies, cannot presently be used to specifically identify you. We may store such information itself or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by our affiliates, agents or service providers. We may use such information and pool it with other information to track, for example, the total number of visitors to the TuneIn Service, the number of visitors to each page of our Site, the domain names of our visitors' Internet service providers, and how our users use and interact with the TuneIn Service. Also, in an ongoing effort to better understand and serve the users of the TuneIn Service, we often conduct research on our customer demographics, interests and behavior based on the personal information and other information provided to us. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis. We may share this non-identifiable and aggregate data with our affiliates, agents and business partners, but this type of non-identifiable and aggregate information does not identify you personally. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our services to current and prospective business partners and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
You can visit the Site without providing any personal information. If you choose not to provide any personal information, you may not be able to use certain features of our TuneIn Service.
How we protect your information
We have taken reasonable steps to protect the information you provide via the TuneIn Service from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet, email or other electronic transmission is ever fully secure or error free, so you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us in this way. We do not accept liability for unintentional disclosure.
By using the TuneIn Service or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the TuneIn Service. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Site and/or Applications or sending an email to you.
Consent to processing
If you use the TuneIn Service outside of the United States, you fully understand and unambiguously consent to the transfer of your information, including Personal Information, to, and the collection and processing of such information in the United States and other countries or territories. The laws on holding such information in the United States may vary and be less stringent than laws of your state or country.
Links to Other Web Sites
What are my privacy options and how can I change my settings?
To modify your registration information: Once you have registered, you can change your registration information (including your email address and password).
To change your following list privacy setting: Once you have registered, you can change your profile information to make your following list more private. If you registered for the TuneIn Service prior to May 7, 2014, your following lists will be private, but your following lists will be made public once you sign in to your account. You can change your settings to make your following lists private at any time by changing your profile settings.
Opt out: Each email communication we send you will contain instructions permitting you to "opt-out" of receiving future marketing communications. In addition, if at any time you wish not to receive any future communications or you wish to have your name deleted from our email mailing lists, please contact us as indicated below. Note however, that certain communications, such as push notifications, require you to change the settings on your device if at any time you wish not to receive any future communications. Note that on occasion we send service-related announcements, such as disruption notifications, and you may not be able to opt-out of these communications.
English language version shall control