28. All about how to put up shelves! Don't tell me yours are still up, I won't believe you.Yes, it's the classic DIY disaster story - any why? Because it should be so easy - actually it is easy - but some many DIYers fail miserably at this task. Listen in as The Building Sheriffs give you a blow-by-blow account of the process as well as discussing Sir John Betjeman, Amazon Fresh, Sergeant Bilko and much, much more!
27. All About Understairs Toilets/WCs - a must have in the modern age, but how easy is it to get all of that pipework through? We remember outside khasis, those freezing January mornings when a trip to the loo put you in mind of Scott and Shackelton. Now? For many, a warm, tiled and ventilated cubicle of bliss under the stairs awaits your next urge. Do you have the urge to have one installed? For the low-down on the work involved, as well as the next part of EWs village quiz, chat about a...
26. All About Curtains and Blinds - one of our most-hated jobs - about as appealing as working on a can of worms and Pandora's box at the same time!
This is a nightmare of a job. We are usually asked to put up curtains and blinds for free as an afterthought by the customers - and there are always potential problems. Listen in with the Building Sheriffs for the low down on the pitfalls of putting up curtains and blinds...
25. All About Builders' Terminology. Ever feel like you (your husband) is being left out of the builders' conversation because he has small, pink hands because he works in an office. Bone up on builders' termiology with The Building Sheriffs: RSJ, sparks, tube, muck - it's more comprehensive than Esperanto with way more swearing!
24. All About Front Doors - forget the tradesman's entrance, this is advice, prices on having a new front door. A lot more EXPENSIVE than you may think! The Sheriffs also discuss quizzes, Brian Clough (one for the teenagers), EW's lack of friends and much, much more.
23. All About Wallpapering - do you know how to wallpaper? Lining paper, Laura Ashley, anaglypta? The Building Sheriff's discuss wallpapering, grandmothers, Cheryl Cole and achy legs as well as the usual viewers' questions, EW's 'world-famous' quiz, Twitter trends and making our dinner.
22. All About Builders' Most Profitable Jobs - these aren't the jobs builders like the most, but they are the ones where they earn the most wonga! Either because the job is dangerous - roofing, electrics - or because you, the punter would make a bit of a pig's ear if you had a go at it yourself - plastering - these are the jobs where a builder gets to charge like a wounded bull!
21. All About Safety - safety in the home. Yes, boring but MASSIVELY important! We discuss safety, Doom Bar, Kylie Jenner and accidents in the home...Where is your gas shut off? Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm by your boiler? No? Why not? Plus the usual nonsense - listen in as EW enlightens us about the spelling of Kylie Jenner's baby's name and digs out his village quiz that's ideal for all of you born before 1930.
20. All About Builders' Labourers - a builder's labourer is kind of like the office junior, but someone who wants paying daily, drinks like a fish and sleeps in his van. Often they can't get into work because they don't even have enough money for petrol, having spent the lot down the boozer the night before. Actually, he's about as similar to a meek office junior as Nancy Spongen is to Joanna Lumley (one for the teenagers). He's more like an alien in fact...an alien who likes a 'right good...
19. All About Having a Loft Conversion (overview) - thinking about going up into the loft, but to sleep rather than get down your dusty the Christmas decorations - or those specialist magazines? Listen in as The Building Sheriffs take a general look at the process.
We've discussed Gs&T on the patio - what about a glass of champagne substitute on the deck? An alternative to a patio seating area in your garden, decking is quick cheap (ish) and looks great. Listen in as The Building Sheriffs discuss tips, tricks and prices, as well as champagne substitute, Nelson, the hardness of wood and village hall quizzes.
All About the Perks of the Job! - Old EW reckons there are no perks of being a builder. So what is he doing recording the topic live with Puch, over a Pizza in York - and on a week day. The Building Sheriffs take advantage of being self-employed and thrash the subject out over a Peroni or two...
Drinking a G&T on a muddy patch of ground isn’t quite the same as sitting on a glorious new patio and pretending that your life is now better than it was prior to paying a builder to lay a few slabs on a solid base. Join The Building Sheriffs as they discuss patios, dry January, Napoleon and much, much more.
Drinking a G&T on a muddy patch of ground isn't quite the same as sitting on a glorious new patio and pretending that your life is now better than it was prior to paying a builder to lay a few slabs on a solid base. Join The Building Sheriffs as they discuss patios, dry January, Napoleon and much, much more.
In this second episode on extensions, The Building Sheriffs delve deeper into the subject: building inspectors? Structural engineers? Should you warn your neighbours? And do the builders use your avocado suite or do you get a Portaloo delivered? Oh yes - and Puch invites EW to the Ivy and we discover what posh fare is on the menu deep in the Dales.
All About Going Green - How 'green' are you? Do you turn the telly off standby after you've binged-watched on Netflix? Do you use energy-saving lightbulbs - in your fridge? What about your windfarm? Listen in as The Building Sheriffs discuss all things energy saving and a whole load of completely unrelated topics...
So you've got a re-mortgage, or come in to some money, or you're just plain loaded. You want to extend that cramped kitchen so you can invite your friends around for a fondue and a few glasses of Black Tower. But, it's a lot of money isn't it? And there are many pitfalls. Listen in as The Building Sheriffs discuss the process of getting the builders in to do your extension.
MDF. Yes, we've all heard of it in the TV shows, but do you know what it stands for? And how to best use it? And what about the cost of painting it - that'll make your toes curl! Join the Sheriffs as they discuss, life, drinking, love (divorces), the Universe and various uses of MDF.
It's not just the builders you know - some homeowners out there make Jessie James look like a choirboy! Yes, these is such a thing as a cowboy client and EVERY builder has come across one in their lifetime. Some cheat, some 'knock you' some are so unreasonable, they'd make Henry Kissinger pack his bags and run for the hills. Listen up as The Building Sheriffs discuss...
10. Plastering. "Messier than a plasterer's radio?" It's an unavoidably messy job, but at times, a necessity. It's fun to do as well! But there's no job in building that goes wrong more quickly than someone who can't plaster attempting to do so. When done right, it's a joy to behold. Check out the ins and outs of plastering and choosing a plasterer with the Building Sheriffs.