We spoke with president of the Slovenian of the Year for NSW awards committee Branko Fabjančič about the 18th year of this event. Branko encourages people to nominate - you have until 25th April. The awards will be held at Triglav Club on Sunday, June 16th.
- Predsednik odbora za priznanj Slovenec leta Branko Fabjančič spregovori več o letošnjo že 18. prireditev. Spodbuja vse, naj predlagajo svoje izbire do 25. aprila. Podelitev bo v Klubu Triglav, v nedeljo, 16. junija.
Katarina Mahnič lived in Melbourne for 7 years between 1994 and 2001, when she decided to return to live in Slovenia. She has dual Slovenian and Australian citizenship. Katarina was actively involved within the Slovenian Community in Melbourne during her time in Australia and recently returned for a visit Down Under to catch up with old friends and see what has cahnged in the last 18 years. Katarina also worked as a contributor for our Slovenian program on SBS Radio, reporting on the latest...
Frančiška (Fanika) Krap was a very active and respected within the Slovenian community in Queensland. She passed away on March 28th 2019 after a long illness, aged 82. Frančiška was born near the village of Radmirje in the beautiful Upper Savinija Valley in Slovenia and was a very proud Slovenian. Mirko Cuderman, who regularly reports on events within the Slovenian community in Queensland for our program pays tribute to the life of Frančiška Knap, who was also affectionately known as Fanika....
Felix and Vera Lorbek from Melbourne were both born in the Štajerska region of Slovenia. They speak to us about the good and challenging times during their 60 years of marriage as they celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on 31st March, 2019. Felix and Vera told us that their incredible faith in God has helped them through the good times as well as overcoming the more challenging times. Congratulations Felix and Vera as you celebrate your diamond wedding anniversary with God's...
Father Boštjan Ošlaj is the parish priest at the church of Sveti Jurij in the village of Ščavnica in the beautiful Prlekija region of Eastern Slovenia. He recently visited Australia and spoke with us about his life and work as a priest.
- Gospod Boštjan Ošlaj, župnik župnije Sveti Jurij ob Ščavnici v Prlekiji je bil pred kratkim na obisku v Avstraliji. Pridružil se je nam za prijeten pogovor, da smo več izvedeli o njegovem življenju in delu kot duhovnik.
Honorary Consul of the Republic of Slovenian for Victoria, Eddy Kontelj gives us an update on his work at the consulate and some new initiatives to promote Slovenia in the wider community.
- Eddy Kontelj je aktiven član slovenske skupnosti v Geelongu, in obenem tudi častni konzul Republike Slovenije za Viktorijo. Povedal nam je več o njegovem delu na konzulatu in opisal nekaj novih spodbud v promocijo Slovenije v širši avstralski skupnosti.
During this time of year, Lent gives us an opportunity to eat more vegetables. Dr Belovič will tell us more about the importance of green salad and what the benefits are.
- Sveža zelenjava je vedno dobra izbira za zdravo življenje, posebno v postnem času.
Dr Belovičeva Vas bo danes spomnila na pomembnost zelene solate.
The Office for Slovenians Living Abroad awarded special recognition to Marija Grosman, Olga Lah, Marta Magajna and Mihelca Šušteršič for their many years of hard work for the HASA NSW historical archive. Congratulations to all these recipients for this well deserved recognition! Today, we'll be speaking with Olga Lah, who has been active within the Slovenian community in Sydney since arriving in Australia.
- Urad vlade Republike Slovenije za Slovence v zamejstvu in po svetu je podelil...
We spoke with leader of the Slovenian singing group "Taščica" Majda Vake about the group, who focuses on bringing audiences Slovenian folk songs and why they are coming to Australia at the end of March.
- Ljudski pevski zbor Taščica prihaja iz občine Rače - Fram, v bližini Maribora.
Pogovarjali smo se z Majdo Vake, vodjo zbora, ki nam je opisala več o delovanju in zakaj prihaja v Avstralijo.
The Office for Slovenians Living Abroad awarded special recognition to Marija Grosman, Olga Lah, Martha Magajna and Mihelca Šušteršič for their many years of hard work for the HASA NSW historical archive. Congratulations to all these recipients for this well deserved recognition! Today, we speak with Marija Grosman and Mihelca Šušteršič.
- Urad vlade Republike Slovenije za Slovence v zamejstvu in po svetu je podelil priznanja, ki so jih dobile: Marija Grosman, Olga Lah, Marta Magajna in...
Honorary consul of the Republic of Slovenian for South Australia, Adrian Vatovec tells us more about what is happening these days in the Slovenian community in Adelaide, as well as giving us some insight into his daily work at the consulate.
- Jadran Vatovec, častni konzul Republike Slovenije za Južno Avstralijo, opiše kaj se dogaja med tamkajšnjo slovensko skupnostjo. Med drugim nam razloži kakšno je dnevno delo konzulata.
Martha Magajna from Sydney is very well known and respected within the Slovenian community in Australia. She recently celebrated her 80th birthday and was kind enough to join us to talk about her life and tireless work for the Slovenian community.
- Martha Magajna iz Sydneya je zelo dobro poznana in spoštovana med slovensko skupnostjo v Avstraliji. Pred kratkim je praznovala njen okrogli 80. rojstni dan, in za to priložnost, smo jo povabili na prijeten klepet. Martha nam več zaupa o njenem...
Today, Dr Belovič talks about traditional Slovenian food that is prepared during the carnival, or pust in Slovenian in the week before Lent.
- Dr Belovič predstavlja domače in stare slovenske jedi, ki se pripravljajo za pusta.
A new cycling club has recently been started in the Slovenian community in Sydney. We spoke with Walter Šuber, representative for NSW on the Council of the government of the Republic of Slovenia for Slovenians Living Abroad and board member at Club Triglav Mounties, about this initiative, how many members they currently and how you can also join!
- V sydneyski skupstnosti se je ustanovil nov kolesarski klub. Pogovarjali smo se z Valterjem Šuberjem, član Sveta vlade Republike Slovenije za...
Peter Mandelj OAM JP, president of the Slovenian Welfare and Information Office in Melbourne tells us more about the work and activities of their association within the wider Slovenian community in Australia.
- Peter Mandelj OAM JP, predsednik Slovenskega Dobrodelnega Skrbstva in Informacijskega Urada v Melbournu nam več zaupa o njihovem delovanju in aktivnosti v širši slovenski skupnosti.
We spoke with Martin Starec, new president of the Beekeeping Association at Slovenian Club Jadran about their various activities promoting bees and honey. He invites us to attend the 25th Beekeeping Festival at Jadran Club on Sunday, 10 March. The BeeKeeping Association is also celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2019.
- Pogovarjali smo se z Martinom Starcem, novim predsednikom čebelarske zveze v Slovenskem klubu Jadran, ki letos praznuje 25. obletnico delovanja. Martin prav tako vabi vse...
Vinko Ovijač was a very respected member of the Slovenian Community in Sydney. He, along with his late wife, Marija are seen by many as pillars within the Slovenian Community and Vinko is also regarded as the driving force behind establishing the first Slovenian Club in Sydney. He passed away on 7 February 2019 aged 97, and his funeral was held on the 14 February 2019 at the St Rafael's Slovenian Church in Merrylands. Vinko is buried at the Slovenian Cemetery at Rookwood. We dedicate this...
The World Day of Prayer is an international ecumenical movement organized by women of many different Christian denominations every year on 1 March. Slovenia is the host country for 2019. The theme for this year's event is 'Come, everything is prepared!' Mirko Cuderman, a popular and well respected member of the Slovenian Community in Queensland gives us the rundown on this year's event and it's significance to Slovenians living in the homeland and around the world!
- Svetovni dan molitve je...
Dr Belovič tells us more about why beta carotene is important and how apricots are a great source.
- Dr Belovič je tokrat spregovorila zakaj je pomembno da zaužijemo dovolj beta karotena in zakaj so marelice dober vir.