WLAC was one of the nation's first radio stations, taking the air on November 24th, 1926, the year after WSM took to the air in Nashville. Created primarily as a promotional venture and publicity medium for the Life And Casualty Insurance company, WLAC originally operated only part-time and on a non-commercial basis. Beautifully equipped studios, as modern as the day, were constructed on the fifth floor of the insurance company building. Thousands of visitors, attracted by the novelty of the new medium, enjoyed the hospitality of the spacious, palm-shaded reception room. Accepted from the start with a warm welcome from Nashville residents, WLAC expanded steadily. Known as the "South's Master Station," WLAC adopted the slogan "Health, Thrift, Entertainment, and Education." In 1928, the station affiliated with the Columbia Broadcasting System to become the CBS outlet for Nashville.