The Next Chapter
Kate Pullinger, Julian Porter (June 16, 2014)
Kate Pullinger on "Landing Gear" - Christopher DiRaddo on "The Geography of Pluto" - Martha Schabas on her day job - Our Mystery Book Panel recommends great summer reads - Julian Porter on "149 Paintings You Really Need to See in Europe"
Children's Book Panel - Summer 2014
The members of our Children's Book Panel, Ken Setterington and Michele Landsberg, recommend great novels and picture books to keep young people entertained during the summer.
TNC Special: Festival Stories with Shelagh and Vish
Shelagh and Vish Khanna trade stories about hosting summer musical festivals.
Heather O'Neill, Children's Book Panel (June 9, 2014)
Heather O'Neill on "The Girl Who Was Saturday Night" - Sebastian de Castell on "Traitor's Blade" - Jennifer Robson's day job - Vish Khanna reviews "Festival Man" by Geoff Berner - Our Children's Book Panel recommends summer reading for young people
Ray Robertson, Guy Vanderhaeghe (June 2, 2014)
- Ray Robertson on "I Was There the Night He Died" - Miriam Toews, author of "All My Puny Sorrows", answers the Proust Questionnaire - Master Class with Guy Vanderhaeghe - Lynn Thomson and her son Yeats on "Birding with Yeats"
TNC Special: Ray Robertson
The author of "I Was There the Night He Died" talks to Shelagh about the novel in an onstage interview.
Lynn Coady, Robert Priest (May 26, 2014)
Lynn Coady on "Hellgoing" - Matthew Hornell on "Book of Mercy" by Leonard Cohen - Victor Dwyer says if you liked "Orange is the New Black" by Piper Kerman, you'll love "Sailor Girl" by Sheree-Lee Olson - Robert Priest on "Previously Feared Darkness"
TNC Special: Janet Marie Rogers
Shelagh's extended conversation with Janet Marie Rogers, Poet Laureate of Victoria and author of "Unearthed".
Janet Marie Rogers, Douglas Coupland (May 19, 2014)
Janet Marie Rogers on "Unearthed" - Douglas Coupland answers the Proust Questionnaire - Ing Wong-Ward says if you liked "A Journey" by Tony Blair, you'll love "Building the Orange Wave" by Brad Lavigne - Michael Hingston on "The Dilettantes"
Shani Mootoo, Kim Fu, remembering Farley Mowat (May 12, 2014)
Shani Mootoo and Kim Fu on exploring gender variance in fiction - Vivien Shotwell on "Vienna Nocturne" - Stephen Marche on his day job - Shelagh's last conversation with Farley Mowat - Doug Paisley on "A Whale for the Killing" by Farley Mowat
Elaine Lui, Nancy Lee (May 5, 2014)
- Elaine Lui on "Listen to the Squawking Chicken" - Loreena McKennitt on "The Shallows" by Nicholas Carr - Ben Kaplan on "Feet, Don't Fail Me Now" - Nancy Lee on "The Age"
TNC Special: Elaine Lui
Gossip maven Elaine Lui dishes on her unusual relationship with her mother in her memoir "Listen to the Squawking Chicken: When a Mother Knows Best, What's a Daughter to Do?"
Luba Goy, Silken Laumann (April 28, 2014)
- Luba Goy on "Luba, Simply Luba" - Silken Laumann takes the Proust Questionnaire - Vish Khanna on "Let's Talk About Love" by Carl Wilson - Robert Wiersema on "All the President's Men" and "Crazy Town"
Marty Chan, YA writers on Shakespeare (April 21, 2014)
- Marty Chan on his books for young readers - Del Barber on "The Man Who Listens to Horses" by Monty Roberts - Mariko Tamaki, Catherine Austen and Monique Polak on Shakespeare - Brian Francis on "Tiger Eyes" and "Days That End in Y"
Russell Wangersky, Naomi K. Lewis (April 14, 2014)
- Russell Wangersky and Naomi K. Lewis on "Shy: An Anthology" - Justin Rutledge on "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski - George Elliott Clarke and Jennifer Wynne Webber on exuberance - Gail Vaz-Oxlade answers the Proust Questionnaire
Anna Hope, Jennifer Robson (April 7, 2014)
- Anna Hope on "Wake" - Jennifer Robson on "Somewhere in France" - Wilt Whitwam on "Where I'm Calling From" by Raymond Carver - Treasa Levasseur on "The Human Stain" and "Joshua Then and Now" - Motion on "Global Reggae"
TNC Special: Anna Hope and Jennifer Robson
Anna Hope, author of "Wake," and Jennifer Robson, author of "Somewhere in France" on their debut novels about the First World War.
Ernie Louttit, Monique Gray Smith, James Daschuk (March 31, 2014)
- Ernie Louttit on "Indian Ernie: Perspectives on Policing and Leadership" - Monique Gray Smith on "Tilly: A Story of Hope and Resilience" * Katherine Palmer Gordon on "We Are Born with the Songs Inside Us" * James Daschuk on "Clearing the Plains"
TNC Special: Ernie Louttit
Shelagh's extended conversation with Ernie Louttit.
TNC Special: Katherine Palmer Gordon
Katherine Palmer Gordon's book launch for "We Are Born with the Songs Inside Us: Lives and Stories of First Nations People in British Columbia".
- Toronto, ON