TuneIn Forms Strategic Alliances with Over 20 Top Broadcasters, Including Public Radio International and C-SPAN Radio
Broadcasters Selected TuneIn to Extend their Reach to the Audio Service's 40 Million Monthly Active Listeners
PALO ALTO, Calif., September 17, 2012 – On the heels of celebrating their 40 million monthly active listener milestone, TuneIn, the leading service for listening to music, sports and news streams from around the world, today announced continued growth, forming strategic alliances with 20 broadcasting companies, including news giants C-SPAN Radio and Public Radio International.
“After reaching the 40 million monthly active listener milestone earlier this month, we are more committed than ever to serving our growing listener base by offering as many quality content options as possible,” said John Donham, CEO, TuneIn. “Aligning with renowned and respected news organizations like C-SPAN and PRI will be a fantastic and effective way for both TuneIn and these broadcasters to continue to build and expand our audiences.”
The 20 companies aligning with TuneIn include:
- Public Radio International (PRI) - For over 28 years, Americans have identified PRI as the source of news, information and cultural insights essential to understanding our interconnected world. On almost 900 radio stations across the U.S. and on digital platforms that reach millions around the globe, PRI continues to innovate in bringing new voices, global journalism and cultural perspectives to the American public. PRI distributes more than 280 hours of weekly content that includes a wide variety of news, entertainment and classical offerings including PRI’s The World®, Studio 360 with Kurt Andersen, This American Life, Here & Now and Living on Earth.
- C-SPAN Radio - C-SPAN Radio offers commercial-free public affairs programming 24 hours a day. The station includes live coverage from Washington of important congressional hearings, key speeches from national leaders, along with archival recordings of presidential tapes, military memoirs & judicial proceedings from contemporary times and before the advent of television. Shows include America and The Courts, Q&A, Road to the White House, and Washington Journal.
- ABC Australia - The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) - ABC Radio operates a network of local stations and national networks throughout Australia. Nineteen stations are available to TuneIn users, plus thousands of podcasts on a diverse range of topics. Stations available for streaming include triple j, 10 x ABC Local Radio capital city stations including Sydney & Melbourne, Radio National, Classic FM, NewsRadio, ABC Grandstand Sport, ABC Jazz, ABC Dig Music and ABC Country.
- Hearst Corporation - Hearst Corporation operates two radio stations, located in Baltimore, Maryland. WBAL is a News/Talk/Sports radio station and has the highest signal strength of any radio station in Maryland and its directional nighttime signal reaches as far as Nova Scotia and Bermuda. WIYY broadcasts mainstream rock.
- mvyradio - Records, tapes and CDs still line the walls of the WMVY studios at Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Mvyradio broadcasts rock, folk, blues, bluegrass, americana, jazz, alternative and then some, along with such novelties as the Newport Folk Festival and MerleFest. Shows include The Hot Seat, Just Four Guys and Putumayo World Music Hour.
- WFMU - Based in New Jersey, WFMU's programming ranges from flat-out uncategorizable strangeness to rock and roll, experimental music, 78 RPM Records, jazz, psychedelia, hip-hop, electronica, hand-cranked wax cylinders, punk rock, gospel, exotica, R&B, radio improvisation, cooking instructions, classic radio airchecks, found sound, dopey call-in shows, interviews with obscure radio personalities and notable science-world luminaries, spoken word collages, Andrew Lloyd Webber soundtracks in languages other than English as well as country and western music. Stations include Great Freeform Radio, Ichiban Rock & Soul and Give the Drummer Radio.
- WSM - Based in the nation’s country music capital of Nashville, and founded in 1925, WSM is one of the oldest and most famed country music stations in the world. Each day, the station shares country, bluegrass, and Americana as well as the excitement of Music City with friends in Middle Tennessee and listeners around the world. WSM has gone on to become a broadcasting giant and a friend to hundreds of thousands of fans. The station has won hundreds of broadcasting awards and was named Country Radio Station of the Century by “Radio & Records” in 2000.
- KDHX - Independent music plays here. Never automated and never commercial, an army of volunteer DJs runs the airwaves around the clock: Bluegrass. Punk. Blues. Rock. Americana. Hip Hop. Country. Reggae. Electronica. Pop. World Music. If you’re a fan of it, KDHX probably plays it. More than 100 DJs curate the music, guaranteeing you’ll hear something amazing you’ve never heard before. The PRX-syndicated Collector's Edition joins Stumble in the Dark, Memphis to Manchester and a plethora of unique, incredible shows you won't hear anywhere else.
- KXT - KXT 91.7 FM is a Triple-A music station in North Texas, providing listeners a mix of acoustic, alt-country, indie rock, alternative and world music. KXT has one of the biggest weekly audiences of any Triple-A station in the country, and features an eclectic variety of artists and genres with a focus on emerging performers from North Texas and across the Lone Star State.
- Wu-Tang Radio (Wu World Radio) - Wu-Tang Radio is part of an entire Wu-World social network, including television, events, an entire DJ coalition, and of course, the Wu-Tang Clan. It’s not just music, “it’s a Wu-Volution”, attempting to reclaim true Hip- Hop. Wu-Tang Radio is broadcast straight out of Wu-Tang Management's Headquaters in Shoalin, NY.
- Israel Sports Radio - Israel Sports Radio was founded in the summer of 2010. The reason the station was founded was due to a popular demand of sports being discussed locally in Israel as well as abroad. During the first six months the station focused on establishing its audience in Israel. After attracting an Israeli audience the station focused on developing an audience in the United States. Israel Sports Radio was able to connect with an audience in the United States by having prominent American sports figures on the station. Over time, Israel Sports Radio started to attract the large Jewish community across the United States. Today Israel Sports Radio is heard throughout Israel, the United States and the rest of the world.
- Peak 38 - Peak 38 brings several popular stations to TuneIn listeners, including UFC Radio.
- My Cool Inventions Radio - My Cool Inventions Radio is a nationally syndicated “reality radio” show based from Tampa hosted by inventor and billion dollar pitchman-- Akos Jankura ‘The Solutionist’ and John Cremeans ‘The Doctor of Shopology’,allowing entrepreneurs and inventors to pitch product ideas live giving listeners the ability to vote on their favorite invention. Since the premiere of My Cool Inventions Radio on its flagship station 970 WFLA, the "reality radio" show has been inundated with hundreds of inventors submitting their products for free on a daily basis and has recently seen a 70% increase in audience size.
- Caribbean Vibes Radio - Launched in November 2004, this popular online radio venue offers the best in Reggae, Soca, and dancehall music. Reggae music lovers can tune in 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Now boasting nearly a million hits monthly, CVR has quickly become the home for Caribbean music enthusiasts worldwide.
- CIO Talk Radio - CIO Talk Radio is an internet-based talk radio show aired globally, with live broadcast every Wednesday at 9 a.m. CST, about how technology has changed and is changing the way we live our lives as well as do business. Listed by Mashable as Top Twitter Picks for CTOs/CIOs, the show also was ranked #1 on CIOInsight.com’s Top-10 list of Must-Listen-To Podcasts for CIO’s.
- Israel Sports Radio - Israel Sports Radio, founded in the summer of 2010, has a mixed audience of both Israeli and American sports enthusiasts. Its primary focus is American Sports, however, the station does discuss soccer and other European sports.
- SoFlo Radio - Located in Hollywood, Florida, SoFlo Radio is South Florida’s only talk station. Rising above the floundering remnants of terrestrial radio, SoFlo Radio delivers a variety of entertainment. The station features a line up comprised of radio industry veterans with over thirty years of combined radio broadcasting experience. Shows include By The Glass, the Nicole Sandler Show and JJ and Samm In The Morning.
- Twentyfirst Venture AS - Headquartered in Oslow, Twentyfirst Venture owns and operates radio stations in Norway and has radio assets in Southern Africa as well. Stations include RadioMetro, The Beat and Rox 90.1
Listeners can check out their favorite stations and shows from these broadcasters and discover new programming through more than 200 different TuneIn platforms including all smartphones and tablets, connected vehicle dashboards, Internet home entertainment systems and online at www.tunein.com.
TuneIn is the world's most popular service for listening to live, online radio. Each month, over 40 million people use TuneIn to listen to music, sports, news and talk, across more than 70,000 AM, FM and Internet radio stations. TuneIn is free, and available on more than 200 platforms to listeners in 230 countries and territories. Existing investors include Institutional Venture Partners (IVP), Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, and General Catalyst Partners. The company is headquartered in Palo Alto, California.